Sunday, September 9, 2018

BACKTRACKING: The only way home! (Original written in 2015, now with Updates)

Trust me, I know about back-tracking! I was never a small child or teenager; through H.S. and College, I fluctuated between 160-210lbs In 1983, weighing 210 lbs. I began eating a very low-carb diet, lost 60lbs and reached my lowest adult weight of 150lbs~but was secretly upset that I couldn't get down to 135lbs!!  Shortly thereafter, with several life-events in a row and poor eating choices, I quickly gained about 40lbs back! THEN I got pregnant, ate carbs for 9 months and gained 120lbs MORE!  2 babies later, in 1987 I lost 100lbs, only to discover I was pregnant again and gained it all back, stuffing my face with carbs, once again! In 1990, (after 2 more babies) I dropped from 340 to 220....at which time, my husband lost his job and we moved from the safety of country living to a rough neighborhood in Roanoke where I experienced some serious culture shock! Naturally, (and foolishly) I turned to comfort foods and in 9 months gained 70lbs back! (Subconsciously, I had run back to the comfort of a larger body and self-image that I was used to!) In 1995, after my fifth child, I lost from 340 down to 267! I thought I had learned my lesson and would continue losing, but that was not to be! I lost my grip on staying low-carb and returned to eating poorly! By 2000, my weight was back up and higher than ever, at 410lbs! AGAIN< I ate low-carb and lost down to 301...only to have a traumatic family event knock me for a loop at which point I became very angry and disillusioned, giving up any serious attempts at losing weight for many years!

Fast forward to Dec. 2009 when my son (in quiet desperation, afraid that I would die soon) took me to The Weigh Station weighing 509lbs! I had weighed over 400lbs since 2003.....6 years of added wear and tear on my knees and hips that I can never get back and still feel the subtle effects of.  For the past 2 years, I have been here in the 300'somethings, trying to break through to that elusive weight of being "under 300lbs".....I have decided that 2015 is MY YEAR! I've learned to deal with negative emotions in better ways; have worked through some of the hurts and traumas, resolving some and putting them all behind me. I have come to accept that regardless of what life throws at me, turning to High-Carb eating is only self-destructive and I cannot allow myself to go that route again-EVER! Why am I tell you all of this? Hopefully, that someone, even just one person, will see themselves in some part of this story and will determine to learn to make better choices starting today! Choose to be good to yourself! Don't take your emotions, that are in response to outside sources, out on your own body by feeding it crap! You know the picture we have of the "weapon of mass destruction"? That is not just a clever picture.....it's reality! Carbs are NOT OUR FRIENDS! For those of us who are carb-sensitive and insulin resistant, they are destruction wrapped in pretty paper! Jesus, family, friends and healthy foods.....THAT is what we need to turn to in our times of need! Please l
earn from my mistakes.......One thing I discovered, there is never a MAXIMUM WEIGHT at which we stop gaining if we continue to eat poorly! The body just keeps stretching and padding on extra fat wherever it has too, in response to being overloaded with the wrong things.........the only way to recovery is BACK the way we came! There are no short-cuts, unfortunately! Happy traveling, my friends! I'm glad to be here sharing the journey with each of you! We can do this! I'm certain of it! Here's to 2015, the year we all get healthy!
 
* UPDATE: Now it's 2016 and I'm still working at this thing...Let's do this, WSW!
*ANOTHER UPDATE: It's 10/17 and I'm still trying to undo the damage of poor choices; Need a Hip Replacement, but weigh too much for surgery.......I've GOT to keep going!
Since July 1st, 2017 I've been 100% focused and on track to finish strong this year! I am fighting to get back to my lowest WS weight before we ring in the New Year!
*2018 UPDATE: I didn't reach my lowest WS weight by the end of the year, but lost 60lbs from July 1st until Jan. 2018!  Still backtracking....and am almost there!
*2018! I made it to my lowest WS weight of 304 on July 1st! One year without sugar or starch= re-lost 86lbs!  The journey toward new lows has begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment