Sunday, April 7, 2013

EMOTIONS!



It never ceases to amaze me how emotions can control our actions if we let them! Today was a beautiful day and yet a friend of mine woke up "down in the dumps" for no apparent reason. For me, nothing was obviously wrong, but the desire to eat everything in the house was battling for my attention all day!  I have no idea how we can go from being totally focused on eating right and losing weight, to not caring at all about what is going in our mouth or the results that we will reap in the morning! It happens in the blink of the eye! See something, want it, make the decision---Think fast!  What are you doing? Why? Are you sure you want that? WOW! The hurdles my mind can jump in a millisecond continue to amaze me!  I know, the Doc says it's the "addiction" calling....but knowing what it is doesn't always make it any easier to deal with. At times it's just a "roll of the dice" as to whether I'll be victorious at the end of the day or not!  Today I survived, but only by constantly telling myself how sorry I would be tomorrow if I blew it! I mean, if you're gonna blow your diet you should at least have a "special occasion" to blame it on, right? No occasion, Easter has passed; I have no one other than myself to battle with!  Oddly enough, when the desire to eat badly is strong, having an "occasion" doesn't matter either!  Sometimes there's just an inexplicable desire to 'not worry about it and just eat.' The trouble with that is, once I succumb to that impulse, the desire is not quenched! Eating carbs is like throwing fuel on a fire; it just grows stronger! Sometimes simply remembering THAT is what gets me through it! Knowing that the desire to eat usually has nothing to do with being hungry also helps! Sometimes I can figure out the root cause of the impulsive thoughts, but not always! Actually, just knowing that eating the donut, candy bar or mashed potatoes will just cause me to want more, is one of the strongest deterrents that I have!  Being mindful of my followers and Mother's prayers helped me through the day, but honestly, the battle can be very draining! Thank you, God, for today's victory! Days like today make me appreciate days that I am "in the zone" and decisions are so much easier! Perhaps today's success will fuel the fire of success for tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment